Journaling. Bible Journaling. Junk Journaling. Bullet Journaling. Art Journaling. What? There is a lot of confusion around these terms and how they relate to what we are doing in this course. The simple answer: We are doing a bit of each. Be sure to scroll down to see the video chat about Journaling!
Journaling. What’s It ALL About?
There are so many types of journaling that it can become confusing when using that term. I attempt to describe each of the kinds of journaling I know about and how they work. Then I explain how each works with our Journal The Word – Book of Notes course.
The Different Types of Journaling
- Journaling is just opening a notebook or journal and writing your thoughts.
- Bible Journaling is opening a notebook or journal and writing your thoughts about a passage you just read and prayed about. It could also be your thoughts on a sermon you just heard or a Bible study or Sunday school lesson.
- Junk Journaling is more about making the book or journal than about writing. You use found papers, such as junk mail, old cards, even your children’s school papers… to create a book. Any paper will do. And anything goes.
- Bullet Journaling is a combination of drawing, doodling, and planning. Where most journals have lined pages, bullet journals have dotted pages that form a grid. This makes it easy to sketch using the grid.
- Art Journaling is using a notebook, sketchbook, or journal to draw, paint, and process your artful thoughts in a visual way.
Journaling The Word in a junk journal style
When I say that, “We are Journaling The Word in a junk journal style” I mean that we are using the techniques, principles, and fun of junk journaling to create a book of your thoughts. This is a Journal. A Book of Thoughts. Or, as we are calling it a Book of Notes.
How Does This Work?
Every day, I am recording a video tutorial with an easy background technique. These backgrounds can be used in several ways:
- If you paint with me, you will create a colorful, artsy page in your journal.
- You can paint it or print mine and create a book by folding the pages in half lengthwise. These will be sewn or bound together into a handmade book.
- You can print the background from the Printable and tear it, or glue it into a notebook or sketchbook and then journal on it.
- You can use it in your Bible as a journal space as well.
This course is just about the backgrounds since that is a good place to begin when creating a junk style journal. We will have 40+ backgrounds at the end of the class. These would make up to a 160 page book, depending on how you use them.
We will continue on after this course is finished to create a book with the papers.
So How Do I Participate?
There are several ways to do that:
- Paint with me and create 40+ backgrounds.
- Paint with me and journal your thoughts about that day’s reading.
- Print the Printable and use all of it or pieces of it to create a page for that day in your journal.
- Or a combination of any of these to find what best suits your lifestyle and your writing.
My Intentions for Journal The Word
My intention when designing this course was to:
- Get you reading the Bible and writing your thoughts
- Help you explore book making and junk journaling by easing you into the process
- Growing a daily practice together, in community with like minded people.
Please ask questions in the comments under this video if you do not understand something. I have been journaling and creating books for a long time. No matter how well prepared I think I am about explaining the terms and the processes, I might mention something that does not compute. That is what the comments are for!! If you don’t understand, I guarantee there are others who feel the same way.
I do not want to leave anyone behind, or worse yet, make this a frustrating experience. So I am begging you to help me help you. That makes us all grow!
So I hope that this helps explain what Journal The Word – Book of Notes is about with a little more clarity. I would love for you to share this with others you think might want to join us. Go ahead and hit the share button or invite them to join the FB page.
The more people who join in…the more fun and growth we ALL have.
I will end this chat with the love I have for each of you who are following along. How can I help you? How can I inspire your creativity today? How can I serve you?
Sunday Inspiration Chat 11
DREAMERS INTO DOERS – DAILY CREATIVE PRACTICE DAY 68
May joy be with you all!
How can I serve YOU? How can I inspire YOUR creativity today? How can I help YOU? Learn about our Dreamer Into Doers 2020 Challenge. 20 minutes per day to develop and nurture a Personal Daily Creative Practice. There is Contagious Creativity awakening all around us. Come join the Contagious Creativity movement at https://www.facebook.com/Cre8Tiva/.
Leave a Reply